You know how informative and entertaining a Youtube video could be. Those funny cat compilation videos could surely break the concept of time. And that is one of the reasons why you would need to know how to download Youtube videos, to be able to watch it later at your most convenient time, after doing your most important tasks of the day.
It is actually easy to download a Youtube video. You just have to get your phone, open the Youtube app, search for the video you want to download, then tap the Download button. Wait for the video to be finished, and then you can watch it later anytime you want.
However, you can only watch it inside your Youtube app and on the phone that you used to download it. You would still have to use other applications and software if you want to have a copy of it in your desired video format. On top of that, choosing and navigating the interface of different programs might also be confusing. This is why in this article, we will explore and walk you through to different methods of downloading a Youtube video, may it be from your phone, tablet, laptop, or PC.
How To Download A Youtube Video On Your Phone, Tablet, Laptop, Or PC
If you have multiple gadgets that you are using throughout the day, chances are, you might be also watching Youtube videos or movies using those. And the good news is, we will be detailing below the easiest and fastest methods to download Youtube videos that could be flexibly used by different devices.
Downloading Videos Through Youtube App
Youtube itself has an app that is readily working on both Android and iOS devices. You can download videos from it, store it locally on your phone, then watch it whenever you want. You would be surprised as to how this easily available application is also as easy to use. To know how to download Youtube videos using the Youtube app, follow the steps below:
- Open the Youtube application on your phone.
- Search and find the Youtube video that you want to download.
- Underneath the video, find and tap the Download button. It is on the same row as the Like and Dislike button.
- Wait for the download to be finished and you may access it through the Library.
- To see the Library tab, go to Youtube Home by pressing the Back button of your phone.
- Then click the Library tab that could be seen on the lower-right part of your screen.
- Then tap Downloads. You will see all your downloaded videos here.
This step is really easy and straightforward. It is literally waving on the Youtube app itself, just underneath the video. The downside is that you can only watch the downloaded videos inside your Youtube app. You won’t have a video copy on your local storage so you won’t be able to watch it on other media players nor copy it to another device.
Aside from that, some countries can only use the Download button if you are subscribed to Youtube Premium. So check on your Youtube app if you can download or not. But if you are already subscribed to Youtube Premium, then you will not be thinking about this problem in the first place.
Downloading Videos By YT Saver Video Downloader
YT Saver Video Downloader is one of the best YouTube downloaders that works with PC and Mac systems. Apart from YouTube, this application also allows you to download videos from Facebook, Instagram, Dailymotion, TikTok, Bilibili, etc. To download YouTube videos using YT Saver Video Downloader, just follow the below:
- Download and install YT Save Video Downloader.
- Launch the application, and set the output format and quality.
- Go to Youtube and search for the video that you want to download, then copy the video URL from the address bar.
- Click the “Paste URL” to start the download process.
This application supports various video/audio output formats such as MP4, MP3, AVI, AAC, MOV, FLAC, etc. And help you download videos in high quality, ranging from 720k, 1080p, 2K, 4K even 8K. It automatically downloads subtitles, lyrics, and even entire playlists, and channels. Aside from the mentioned advantage, YT Saver Video Downloader can also be used as a video converter and has a built-in browser. You can browse and download various media files easier within the app. If you are a user who wants to cut YouTube videos to MP4, or MP3 and share them on WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, and other social media platforms. YT Saver’s built-inYouTube cutter will especially meet your needs.
Downloading Videos By YTD Video Downloader
YTD Video Downloader is an application that you can use to download videos from Youtube. Its advantage is that it has its own application that is available on PC, Android, and iPhone. You won’t be trying to learn different applications on different devices as this alone could already do the trick. To download Youtube video using YTD Video Downloader, following the steps below:
- Download and install YTD Video Downloader, then open it.
- Go to Youtube and find the video that you want to download.
- Copy the video URL and paste it to YTD Video Downloader.
- Select the video format, quality, and destination folder, then click “Download”.
Aside from the mentioned advantage of using YTD Video Downloader above, using this would give you the capability to have a local copy of the video you downloaded. You can watch it on whichever video viewing app you want. You can also create multiple copies of the video for back up.
On top of all that, YTD Video Downloader can also be used as a video converter and has basic video editing tools. Though if you are someone who edits videos that needs more complex capabilities, we suggest that you study a dedicated video editing software. You may also want to check out our article about the best laptops for video editing.
The disadvantage of the YTD Video Downloader is that it can’t download some specific videos on Youtube. Also, while navigating through the software, it will ask you to download other software and toolbars. If you will not take note of this, you might be unknowingly downloading many apps while downloading Youtube videos.
Downloading Videos Using Google Chrome Extension
Google Chrome is an internet browser that is used in a vast range of areas. And thanks to Google Chrome Extension, we could also use it to download Youtube videos. Here is a walkthrough of how to use the power of Google Chrome to download Youtube videos.
- Visit Addoncrop and click the “INSTALL VIA CROSSPILOT” button.
- On the new Chrome tab that will open, install Crosspilot by clicking “Add to Chrome”.
- Click “Add Extension” and wait for the installation to finish.
- Click “Grant Permissions”, then click “Allow”.
- Wait for the new tab that prompts which says “Congratulations!”.
- Go to Youtube and find the video that you want to download. You will see the download button beneath the video. Click it and select the file type and quality that you want.
This method is user-friendly and flexible. You won’t have to open or download another app just to download Youtube videos. The download button could be seen and operated just underneath the Youtube video itself. This saves a few clicks for every video download and it is a big help especially if you will be downloading multiple videos.
Its downside is that it has no video converter and is just purely a video downloader. Also, you can only use it on the Google Chrome browser so if you are using a different internet browser, this might not be the best fit for you.
Downloading Videos Using Mozilla Firefox Add-ons
Now, if you are someone who uses Mozilla Firefox instead of Google Chrome, the good news is that we can also use Mozilla Firefox Add-ons to download Youtube videos to any of your devices. To do that, follow the step by step instructions below:
- Open Firefox and click the Menu button that is found on the upper-right part of the screen.
- Click “Add-ons”.
- Search for “Easy Youtube Video Downloader Express”, then restart your Firefox.
- Now, search for a video on Youtube, then click the “Download As” button underneath the video.
- Select the video format and quality, choose your destination folder, then click “Save”.
The advantage of using the Firefox Add-on for downloading Youtube videos is the same as using Google Chrome Extension. You will have the capability to download the Youtube videos on the Youtube website itself, just beneath the video. This is a good alternative to downloading a video using Google Chrome.
Its downside is the same as using Google Chrome wherein you will not have a video converter, just a pure video downloader.
Downloading Videos From Any Internet Browser
If you want a method to download any Youtube video using your internet browser, then this trick might be the best for you. You can download it using your phone, tablet, laptop, or PC, which has an internet browser. All you need to do is:
- Open any internet browser and search for the Youtube video that you want to download.
- Copy the video URL and the “ss” to it like this – “ss + Youtube URL”.
- Paste it on the search bar of the browser. You will be redirected to the savefrom.net website.
- Your Youtube video URL is automatically pasted on the website. Select the video format and size.
- Click Download and wait for your video to be finished.
If you are someone who is torn between using Google Chrome or Mozilla Firefox, then fret not, because this way is the best for you. This works on any internet browser because you will not depend on an extension or add-on but from a website. Besides, that “ss + URL” trick is a truly quick feat if you still want to save a few clicks, just like using an extension.
The downside is that it is not embedded in the internet browser. Still, copying the URL and pasting it on another tab adds a few clicks and it might take a little more toll if you will be downloading many videos.
Other Methods To Download Youtube Video From An Android Phone
If you use your phone in browsing and watching Youtube videos most of the time, you would want to learn more tricks on how to download Youtube videos through it. And because there are quite a few available phone operating systems out there, we would give methods on how to download Youtube videos using an iPhone and an Android phone.
One of the best applications that we could use to download a Youtube video from an Android phone is by using TubeMate. It is not available on Google Play Store so you would be manually downloading it from their website.
But before downloading TubeMate, you should first allow your phone to install from sources outside Google Play Store, or from unknown sources. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Head to your phone Settings.
- Find and open Apps.
- Tap Menu, then tap Special Access.
- Finally, tap “Install Unknown Apps”.
- Choose the unknown app, then tap the “Allow from this source switch”.
Other Android phones seem to not have those settings and if your phone belongs to those categories, then you can use this method to allow your phone to install from unknown sources:
- Open your phone Settings
- Tap lock screen and security.
- Tap the Unknown sources switch to turn it on.
Some of the Android phones are so slick that you will have to resort to our third way just to allow your phone to install from unknown sources. This is the detailed steps:
- Open your phone Settings.
- Find and open Additional Settings.
- Scroll down and find “Security & Privacy”.
- Switch the “Unknown Source App Installation” to turn it on.
Now, after allowing your Android phone to install from unknown sources, we will proceed with the installation of TubeMate and download Youtube videos. You can follow the detailed steps to successfully download a Youtube video on your Android phone:
- Go to the TubeMate website and select from the certified websites that are listed.
- Download the TubeMate application, and then install it. There could be a warning that the APK file could harm your phone. This is because it did not come from Google Play Store and was not verified by Google. Click “OK” to continue.
- Once the installation is finished, open the application, and tap “Agree” to its terms and conditions.
- Go to Youtube and copy the URL of the video that you want to be downloaded.
- Paste the URL in TubeMate to open the video.
- Click the Download button that is found at the right-part of the video.
- Choose the video format and the quality that you want, then click the red button.
- Wait for the download to be finished and check it on your Downloads folder.
Other Methods To Download Youtube Video From An iPhone or iPad
If you are using an iPhone or iPad, you will not need to follow that tricky navigation to the Settings of an Android phone to allow unknown sources because you will be using an application that is readily available on the Apple App Store – the Documents by Readdle.
Documents by Readdle is a superb file manager that can be downloaded on the App Store that is also capable of downloading Youtube videos. Below is a detailed walkthrough that you can follow:
- Open App Store and download Documents by Readdle.
- Open the app and tap the browser icon that can be found on the lower-right part of your iPhone or iPad.
- Type “savefromnet” from the search bar on the top of the window and tap “Go”.
- From the search results, tap the “savefrom.net”.
- Minimize Documents by Readdle and open Youtube.
- Search for the video that you want to download and get the URL.
- Get back to Documents by Readdle and make sure that savefrom.net had already finished loading.
- Paste the Youtube video URL to the white box that reads “Enter the URL”.
- Tap the dropdown that is found beside the Download button.
- Select the video format and the resolution.
- After that, tap the Download button and name the video.
- Click Done and wait for your video for the download to finish. If you want to see the video, go to the Downloads folder.
Other Methods To Download Youtube Video From Laptop Or PC
Using Any Video Converter
Another way to download Youtube videos on your PC is to use Any Video Converter. It is one of the best video downloader software because it can download videos not only on Youtube but also on Facebook, Instagram, Vimeo, and different other sites. To use Any Video Converter to download Youtube videos, follow the instructions below:
- Go through Any Video Converter website through your internet browser.
- Click the Downloads tab, download the “Youtube Video Downloader”, and install it.
- Launch the Any Video Converter.
- Once opened, click on “Add URL”.
- Paste the URL on the adding-window and click “Start Download”.
- Wait for your video to be finished and check it.
You can also download videos automatically without clicking the “Start Download” button. Just find and click Settings, then Online Videos, then click “Automatically add URL in the clipboard”. This will save you time if you will be downloading many videos.
Using 4K Video Downloader
4k Video Downloader deserves a sweet spot on our list because it has so many cool features that are hard to find even on other methods that are on our own list. One example is that you can download all the videos on the channel of your favorite Youtube channel as a bulk download. You can probably explore it more after you have learned first how to download a single video that is shown on the steps below:
- Open the browser and go to the 4K Video Downloader website.
- Download and install 4K Video Downloader, then open it.
- Go to Youtube, find the video that you want to download, then copy its URL.
- Go to the 4K Video Downloader app, then press the “Paste URL” button.
- Select the file type and the quality of the video.
- Wait for the download to be finished.
Just a side tip, if you will be downloading bulk videos using 4K Video Downloader, take note of your storage. Videos eat up a lot of space so make sure that your PC can handle it all.
How to Download Subtitles From Youtube?
One of the amazing features of 4K Video Downloader is that it could also download the subtitles from the Youtube videos that you are downloading. You can set it up on the Preferences of 4K Video Downloader and you can choose if you want to have a separate file or embed it on the downloaded video.
With this capability on your arsenal, you could now be able to download even foreign videos that have English subtitles. This is a really unique skill of 4K Video Downloader.
Can You Download Directly From Youtube?
Yes, you can download videos directly on Youtube but only if you are subscribed to Youtube Premium. If you will be using Youtube for a big chunk of your time, you may consider subscribing to Youtube Premium.
Youtube Premium is the paid premium membership of Youtube wherein you will be able to download videos and will have no advertisements on all the videos you are watching. You can try it for free for 1 month.
Though you can’t have a local copy of the downloaded video and you can only watch it inside the Youtube app, not on your laptop, but on your phone, which has limited storage and battery capacity.
Another thing is that users in other countries are allowed to download Youtube videos even though they are not subscribed to Youtube Premium. So if what you are after is only the capability to download videos, check first if you can use the download button for free.
Can You Download Youtube Video A Linux PC?
Linux is quite a complicated OS but still, Youtube videos can be downloaded on it. Thanks to the simple methods of downloading Youtube videos through the internet browser, you can successfully download any of it on any computer operating system that has an internet browser.
If you want a dedicated software to download Youtube videos, don’t worry because ClipGrab can do the work for you. Even better than downloading Youtube videos, ClipGrab can download any video from a wide range of video websites such as Vimeo and Dailymotion. Here is a rundown of steps to download a Youtube video on Linux PC using ClipGrab:
- Download and install ClipGrab. Once finished, open the ClipGrab app.
- Go to the Youtube video that you want to download.
- Copy the URL and paste it on ClipGrab.
- Select the video format and quality that you want.
- Click “Grab this clip!”. Then wait until the video download is finished.
What are the Video Formats That Youtube Accepts?
If you become too fond of downloading Youtube videos or even just someone who uploads videos on Youtube, one of the questions that you may ask is, “what is this video format all about?” or “what are the possible video formats on Youtube?”
Video formats are different types of video compression methods to store video data on your computer. And Youtube is not compatible with all types of compression methods, which is why you have limited video format choices for upload and download. Here are the video formats that are compatible with Youtube:
If the video format that you need is not on this list, you may use video converters. This is the reason why some Youtube video downloaders, like YTD Video Downloader, also have a video converter. It is a packaged deal that helps you with most of the problems that you will encounter while downloading videos from Youtube.