If you spend some time in front of your laptop camera capturing images or for normal video chats, you might have noticed that the image quality can be crappy sometimes. This makes you wonder how to improve laptop camera quality.
Laptop camera quality is determined by three things: your camera, environment and imaging software you are using. Before you give up on the quest to better camera quality, there are a couple of things you can do to improve the situation.
Of course, it wouldn’t be realistic to expect an image quality that is similar to what you see in image software commercials, but you can make your chats and videos look better. The tips mentioned here will bring you closer to a better experience.
8 Things You Can Do To Improve Laptop Camera Quality
Update your imaging software to the recent version
The quality of video chats you get is improved with newer versions. This means that if your copy is older, you’ll be stuck with crappy quality. This applies to most video chat programs.
Most web-based apps like Facebook Chat and Google Chat stay updated. However, it doesn’t hurt to regularly check if there are any updates or new add-ons that will give you better quality.
Adjust the lighting condition
While this might seem like a small and obvious tweak, it can improve the image quality significantly. Lighting doesn’t have to be sophisticated, but it is necessary.
Ensure that you have a good source of light like a lamp placed behind the monitor. The lamp should point towards you and it’s critical to make sure that you don’t have a lot of light behind you.
Relying on your laptop screen as the sole source of light can distort your face color. A lamp will make the image color closer to how you look. Basically, the light makes the laptop camera lower its exposure settings resulting in a well-balanced image.
When using a laptop camera, adjust the lid to make sure the camera is at eye level. Ideally, it shouldn’t point to the floor or your ceiling light. Ideal lighting conditions can transform an image from a grainy silhouette into a real person.
We recommend this light:
- METAL MATERIAL: The lamp is integrated with high-quality metal lampshade and base, enduring, durable and aesthetic, brightens your living room, bedroom or study room.
- ON/OFF SWITCH: The switch is located on the base of the lamp for quick and easy use.
- BULB REQUIREMENTS: Bulb is not included in the package. With an E26 sized screw base, the bulb can be installed as desired. We suggest you using LED bulb 4W-6W, energy saving bulb 8W-16W, incandescent...
- Eye-friendly LED panel: 52 full spectrum beads with soft light, no flicker, no shadow, which avoids eye fatigue caused by flickering light and harsh glare effectively, desk lamp is ideal for reading,...
- 50 Adjustable Light Choices: LED desk lamp has 10 brightness levels and 5 lighting modes to choose, providing ideal light levels for working, studying, reading, and relaxing
- Touch control & memory function: Touch Sensor Switch is applied to this led table lamp. Memory function means you only need to set the brightness / color mode once you use this desk lamp, and desk...
- EYE-FRIENDLY LEDS - MOICO LED desk lamp is made of energy efficient 52pcs LEDS, low consumption and extended lifespan up to 50,000 hours. Design to be soft and non-flickering, no glare, which can...
- SENSITIVE TOUCH CONTROLS - This office desk lamp features 5 color modes with 5 brightness levels adjustable, allows to choose your desired lighting; and the stepless dimming will help you choose the...
- NOT JUST A LIGHT - Build-in with 5V/1A output charging port which is convenient to charge your smart-phones or watch phone(Not wireless) Note: while you charging your phone, make sure the lights are...
Soften the light
Having a lamp may not be enough to improve laptop camera quality. You should consider softening the light so that it doesn’t appear too bright. You can soften the light by wrapping the lamp with a typing paper.
Alternatively, you can direct the light and bounce it off a nearby wall.
This prevents the light from reflecting from your eyes more so if you are wearing glasses. To make it more effective, adjust your screen so that light doesn’t reflect on your glasses.
Your Background matters
.. When using your laptop camera, you want to be the center of attention. However, you still need to be aware of your background …
When using your laptop camera, you want to be the center of attention. However, you still need to be aware of your background. Your audience has a keen eye for detail and inappropriate backgrounds can degrade the quality of the video or photo.
Make sure to clear out any item that makes the background appear cluttered or unkempt. You should be on the lookout for windows that may let in some light or reflect on the screen.
More often than not, settling for a plain wall for a background can eliminate this problem.
If you are in an area with lots of movement in the background, move to a better location.
Having too much motion in your shot makes the video application do more work resulting in a choppy video.
Don’t overload the laptop with multiple tasks
If you are watching videos on YouTube and downloading files simultaneously, the bandwidth available for Skype or other video chat software will shrink. Close all apps that you don’t really need, especially if they are eating into your bandwidth.
If there’s someone in your house engaging in internet-intensive tasks, this can also affect the quality you get on your video chats.
We recommend that you use Ethernet as opposed to Wi-Fi. While Wi-Fi is still a viable option, you are likely to experience some lags and unnecessary interferences making the video quite choppy. On the other hand, a wired internet will offer a consistent, smoother, and convenient experience.
Adjust your laptop camera video settings
.. if you are having a casual video chat, you don’t want this to happen in the midst of a professional video chat or recording…
Have you ever been on a video chat with someone and the focus zooms in and out or the exposure gets terrible? While this might not be catastrophic if you are having a casual video chat, you don’t want this to happen in the midst of a professional video chat or recording.
Almost all webcams let you adjust the contrast, brightness, and other aspects within the app settings. For instance, if you love using Skype, you can access the settings by clicking on Tools>Options>Video settings.
For the best results, drag the Setting window and place it sits next to Skype window. Now you can get a real-time video preview. Adjust the exposure, brightness, white balance, color, and any other settings until you are satisfied with how the video looks.
Remember to turn off automatic white balance and focus to prevent it from adjusting when filming.
If you choose to leave the auto white balance on, you have to optimize to what your laptop camera can capture. This feature works by using the brightest spot on the video frame as a benchmark to optimize the image quality.
Therefore, the top you are wearing will affect the image. We recommend that you wear a white top to balance the colors.
These tweaks might require a little playing around but it won’t be as effective as getting better lighting. However, this will be quite helpful if you need a quick fix but you can’t implement real-world permanent fixes.
If you have a router, set up the quality of service (QoS)
This will have a similar effect to closing online video games, BitTorrent and other programs that eat into the available bandwidth.Basically, this prioritizes video chatting by taking the available bandwidth away from other programs using the internet.
Essentially, it is similar to manually shut down the programs only that Quality of Service achieves this automatically.
It’s important to understand that not every router has this option. If you can’t see this setting on your router, you can still get this feature by installing DD-WRT software on the router.
Adjust the screen resolution
A blurred and distorted image quality that keeps distorting during a video call is annoying. But you can fix this by lowering the screen resolution to get a sharper image.
To achieve this, click on the Desktop > Properties > Screen Resolution and lower the resolution gradually and test the image quality until it gets better.
While the tweaks we’ve discussed so far can give you decent results, the internal webcam on your laptop might not be up to the task. Average video chats will work just fine but you might need to upgrade to a better webcam if you want to experience high-quality video recording.
If All Fails, Consider Invest In an External Webcam
Having an external webcam comes with many benefit, including better quality, noise canceling speaker & mic, adjustable viewing angle.
For this, we recommend you read our guide to the best webcam for video conferencing where we spend time testing over 30 products to give you the best for your need in 2020.
Or check out this featured products:
- ★ Plug and Play Webcam: Our computer webcam can plug and play very easily. With USB 2.0 connector, no need to download or install any complicated driver software, convenience and useful. Please...
- ★ 3D Denoising Webcam with Microphone: Built-in 8m omnidirectional sound absorption and noise reduction microphone, pick up your voice and filter out background noise automatically, enabling you to...
- ★ Full HD 1080p Webcam: True-to-life Panoramic high definition 1920 X 1080P resolution, specifically designed for professional video conferencing when working-at-home. and social vedio, gaming...
- Comes with C920e package, the same version of the c920, the difference is that the package is more compact and environmentally friendly
- Full-HD video Webcam: The Logitech C920 HD Pro Webcam operates in full-HD 1080p video on Skype and you can stream yourself gaming in a strong HD 720p via switch TV
- Record Youtube videos: This HD Pro Webcam allows professionals and others to record rich content that is fluid, professional-looking and polished; record demos or showcase your skills and passion on...
- ★【Full HD 1080P Webcam with Autofocus Light Correction】Equipped with Full HD 1080P resolution and adopted the advanced H.264 compression techonology, the webcam powered by USB 2.0 port, delivers...
- ★【Webcam with Built-in Stereo & 3D Automatic Noise-Canceling Microphone】Built-in stereo microphone, capturing audio within 17 feet, makes your communication clear during vedio time. Built-in...
- ★【90°Wide-Angle & USB Webcam Plug and Play】It is extremely easy and convenient to use the webcam. Designed with standard UVC/UVA protocol USB connector, it is drive free, no need to download...
These tips will be handy when you are wondering how to improve laptop camera quality. While buying an advanced laptop, webcam, and signing up for a faster internet can fix the issues, you’ve got to try the methods here first.