For many people, having the best web camera available to them is more than just a useful tool. It can be a vital part of their professional life, and one of the most invaluable tools around when it comes to ensuring that you can keep in touch with people online. Not only is it a useful professional thing to have, but a good webcam can help you out socially too – as we have all seen in the past year. And if you are thinking about becoming a Youtuber or starting your own Twitch channel, a good quality webcam is going to be essential to set you apart from the rest.
In this guide, we at netbooknews.com will help you take a quick look at the best web cameras of 2021, with recommendations on each, so you know which ones to look out for when you are buying a webcam of your own.
Our Evaluation Method
Because the best web cameras can do so much more for you than just record a video, and because there are so many different ways in which you might want to use one, our evaluation method takes on board a few different major considerations. This includes: the overall specs, and whether you are getting a lot for your money, the advantages of the camera in terms of images and video quality, resolution and frame rate, brightness and corrections, ease of use, any additional features or benefits such as a standalone mic or a long warranty, cost, and specifically whether a camera is particularly good for someone for a specific kind of usage.
By taking a look at web cameras in this way, we are able to highlight some of the very best we cameras for you, so you can always make the right decision as to which one is right for you.
Our Recommendations For the Best Web Cameras May 2022
As of right now, here are the web cameras that we take to be the best overall. Later, we will show you exactly what makes each one so uniquely great, and uncover which of these is the best overall camera, and why.
- Logitech C920. A fantastic all-rounder, with excellent picture quality and a beautiful design. One of the more affordable for what you are getting, too.
- Logitech HD Webcam C615. This camera gives you an easy to use fold-and-go design, and offers much of the quality of the previous model but with a significantly lower price. A great one for working from home.
- Razer Kiyo – This web camera comes with an adjustable brightness ring light, and is arguably the best camera out there for anyone looking to stream their own channel.
- Logitech BRIO – Billed as the ultimate video for video conferencing, but we have found it to be a premium all-round option, and particularly popular amongst Youtubers.
- GoPro Hero 7 – If you are looking to get into recording your video games, this is arguably the single most important tool you can buy. And it comes highly recommended from gamers, as you will see.
- ToLuLu 4K HD – If what you want most of all is a camera with amazing resolution, then you’re in luck: This is our top pick for 4K cams.
- NexiGo 1080p Cam – The best web cameras with 1080p has to be the NexiGo here. With that, you are going to get amazing quality every time.
- Microsoft LifeCam HD-3000 – If all you are looking for is something highly affordable, we recommend the Microsoft LifeCam HD3000 as the best cheap webcam.
Our Reviews Of The Best Web Cameras For May 2022
Without further delay, let’s dive right into our reviews of the very best web cameras you can buy right now.
The Overall Best Web Cameras
The Logitech C920
With this camera, you are easily getting the overall best web camera out there. It has excellent picture quality, a really useful piece of companion software that comes included, and a beautiful design. We’re looking at 1080p and 30 frames per second, so it really is a great image.
- Picture quality. Hard to beat.
- 78-degree view of field.
- Sleek and pretty.
- There is no ability for 60fps recording.
- Might be too pricey for some people.
All in all, this really is the best webcam out there, so it should always be at the very top of your list when you are in the market for a great camera.
The Best Web Cameras For Working From Home
The Logitech HD Webcam C615
As it is Logitech, you know you are going to get amazing quality. After all, this is the same company that brought you the very best webcam of all, above. This camera has a fold-and-go design, so it is great for if you are on the go, and it has a full 360-degree swivel, with an inbuilt 1080p camera.
- Great quality.
- More affordable than some others of similar quality.
- Very good microphone.
- Good value.
- Can struggle to work perfectly with some OS, such as Windows 10.
- Can take a while to set up the first time.
- Not as intuitive to use as some cameras.
The Best Web Cameras For Streaming
The Razer Kiyo
The Razer Kiyo is our top choice for best web camera for streaming. It comes with a fully integrated light, so you can always look your very best on your channel, and it has full HD recording with enhanced illumination. This is bound to be useful in keeping you ahead of the rest in the streaming world. Resolution choices of 1080p or 720p, and a field of view of 90 degrees.
- Full HD at 30fps.
- The integrated light ring means that you always look your best.
- Good value for money.
- Doesn’t come with the audio support you can get from other cameras.
- Can be hard to come across, due to popularity is often out of stock.
The Best Web Cameras For Youtubers
If you are going to be using your camera for Youtubing, the Logitech BRIO is our choice. This is a truly premium quality video camera that works well with any computer, and is a fantastic choice for anyone wanting to get deep into the world of creating their own Youtube videos. With a premium glass lens and a 4K image sensor, you know you are getting great quality, and it also has an HDR feature.
- 4K resolution. Great quality.
- Works well in low lighting.
- 5X zoom with HD.
- Glass lens.
- Could be cheaper for what it offers you.
- Some people might find they have to install new drivers frequently, a bit of a hassle.
The Best Web Cameras For Gaming
Gopro Hero 7
With GoPro, you obviously know that you are always going to get a handy little camera with good quality for its size. This camera comes with 4K60 video, 12MP photo and even voice control, making it a wonderful option if you are gaming and your hands are tied up in the game itself. It also offers live streaming stabilization, so your stream is going to be as good as can be.
- Made for streaming, and really works with it.
- HyperSmooth stabilisation works well.
- Voice control is very useful for gamers.
- On the pricey side. New gamers might not be able to afford it.
- Features can be frustrating to get used to using at times.
- Learning curve.
The Best Web Cameras With 4K
ToLuLu 4K HD
This camera has a 3840×2160 resolution, so it is a great resolution and a stunning picture quality. It has a very intuitive play and pause function, and is a perfect choice for many who need a webcam, whether for streaming or video conferencing, especially if you want a fantastic picture quality every time. You are unlikely to be disappointed with this choice.
- Automatic low light correction.
- Extremely compatible with many machines and OS.
- Clear quality.
- Value for money.
- Tripod doesn’t quite work as it should – a bit stiff and get stuck often.
- Can be hard to set up the first time.
The Best Web Cameras for 1080p
Nexigo 1080p Cam
This camera has 1080p as standard and a 110-degree wide angle, plus it works perfectly out of the box in a truly plug and play style. Yet, it is completely high-end, and will offer you the very best that you can possibly hope for in such a camera. Great for video calling and streaming alike, and a really good one to spend a bit more money on, if you are ready to upgrade.
- Great all-rounder while offering huge quality.
- Easy to set up and play.
- No fuss, works with all OS perfectly.
- Not many extra features to make it stand out.
The Best Web Cameras for your budget
Microsoft LifeCam HD3000
For the cheap and cheerful, you could do much worse than this Microsoft camera. With this, you are going to get a perfectly functioning camera that won’t give you any grief to run, but at the cost of not having amazing quality or many extra features. However, at this price it really is a steal.
- 720p resolution is a good quality for this price.
- Color correction and noise cancelling are both nice touches.
- Not great quality, or high-end.
- Not many extra features.
- Can be a slightly wobbly image.
What To Look For When Buying A Web Camera
So now that you have seen our top options for webcams, you might be ready to go out and find one yourself. But what should you really be looking for when you are trying to buy a good quality web camera? There are a few major things to look out for, including:
- Picture quality.
- Resolution and angle width.
- Any extra features, such as stabilisation.
As long as you look out for those kinds of things, you are more likely to find a camera that works for you.
How To Make Your Web Camera Look Better
If you are trying to work out how you can improve the overall picture quality that you are getting with a webcam, there are a few basic things you can do. First of all, make sure that you are using the best quality webcam you can afford. That will make a huge difference in itself. Beyond that, you can use stabilisation and other features – and make sure that you have put a lot of thought into the lighting. As long as you do that, your picture will be a lot better.
Are Webcams Better Than Laptop Cameras?
If you are just in need of something simple to record you, then a laptop camera is often suitable enough. However, webcams are better in a number of ways, not least the fact that they are almost always a much higher quality. So if that matters to you, you will probably want to switch out your laptop camera for a proper webcam. You also get more of an ability to angle the camera properly compared to an in-built laptop camera, so you have much more control over the image.
As you can see, there is a lot of decision making that has to go into choosing the right camera for your needs. But as long as you have put in all of the necessary work here, you should find it is a lot easier than you might have thought, and you should end up with a great camera. Without a doubt, these cameras listed above are going to help you in a big way, so make sure that you are considering those at the very least. With a good web camera, you are going to get so much more out of your computer.